Saturday, March 20, 2010

“Now and Later” - Service

My mother taught second grade while I was raising my children. Every year she would make very clever homemade Valentines for the children in her class and extras for her grandchildren. A home school Valentine’s Day is never quite as grand as the public school production and my kids were always surprised and grateful for Grandma’s Valentines.

This year the holiday marked by hearts and flowers and candy fell on a Sunday. Saturday night something out of the ordinary struck me and I found myself at Seven-Eleven trying to follow in my mother’s footsteps by putting together a creative idea of my own for my grandkids. I finally settled on the “Now and Later” candies.

Sunday afternoon while dinner was cooking I created a cardstock Valentine for each of the “Grands” that read, “We Love You ‘Now’ and We’ll Love You ‘Later’ and Later and Later…FOREVER!!! Happy Valentines Day Love, Grandma Nan and Grandpa Marv.” Then I put five “Now and Later” candies in ten small baggies and stapled one to the back of each card. I placed the Valentines in my red purse and after the family dinner I passed out the little love notes.

At the close of the day there were several cards left in the bag. I saved them and sent them to the four grandchildren living out of town via an aunt and uncle currier. Better late that never!

My daughter, the mother of three, called to tell me how her little guy T.J. (age four) responded to his Valentine. He had been playing in the yard with four friends. The minute he received the card and candy he ran back outside, opened the little baggie stapled to the back of the card and distributed all the “No and Laters” to his friends. Feeling very good about what he had done he ran back into the house and said, “Mom, I shared my candy with all my friends. That’s the way we get back to Heavenly Father.” Of course his mother gave him an affirming smile.

As she told me the story I thought, “Imagine feeling the joy of service and self-sacrifice at such a young age and with such an Eternal goal in mind! That’s my boy!”

Then she described a scene that occurred later that afternoon. With all his candy philanthropically dispersed T. J. walked in from the yard just in time to observe his siblings hanging out and eating their entire sweet treat with nary a thought of sharing. She described the look on his little face as quite downcast with a less than Eternal perspective in his eyes.

T. J. is good at playing make-believe when it comes to cowboys and cars, but when it comes to his feelings there is no pretending.

Don’t worry T. The “Now and Later Principle” takes a lifetime and maybe beyond to master. Believe me, all the grownups in your world are still working on it. We do something good “now” because we know it will be a blessing “later,” much “later” as in Eternally “later.” What we struggle with is the way we feel just a little “later,” when the pain of the sacrifice kicks in.

Doing what’s right, right “now”, something hard, and something with a price, something that hurts, in hopes of better things “much later” takes years of practice. It requires that we maintain a telescopic view of things. T. J. gave his candy to his friends because, “That’s the way we get back to Heavenly Father.” That’s quite the perspective for a four-year-old little guy. It’s the Heavenly view. It’s a far off view that’s hard to keep hold of. It’s a view I continually work on, because I know it’s one of the keys to continual happiness.

Our lives are full of opportunities to give “now.” Today as I give of myself I want to keep my focus on the “much later” so I can be happy “just a little later,” when all my candy has been generously dispersed and my baggie is empty. “Now and Later,” a big principle in a chewy little package!

By Nannette W.
Posted Saturday, March 20, 2010.

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All rights reserved. Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.