Thursday, July 31, 2008

High Fives! Just as Many as it Takes - Step 11

Today as I was tending the “Grands” I poked my head into four-year-old Ethan’s room. It had been a little too quiet, if you know what I mean. He had the “to hard” dinosaur puzzle he had received for Christmas, spread all about him on the floor. “Grandma, will you please help me.”

I took my place on the floor. Pausing after placing one piece in by himself he looked up at me and with great excitement he said, “Grandma, doing this gives me such a good feeling inside!” He continued working away and initiated a big “high five” after every piece he added to the picture.

Feeling like it might be time to check on the other children coupled with my natural man short attention span and after he had experienced quite a bit of success I said, “Ethan, look at you! I think you can do this by yourself now.” “Oh,” he groaned, as he contemplated my leaving. “Please don’t go grandma.”

So I stayed. I looked on, and took my hands off. I talked. I “yea’d.” I said, “Yes, that’s the one!” over and over. Finally he finished the task that gave him that, “good feeling.” The big finale was a huge hug and a thank you grandma. For what, I thought? For my attention!

My interactions with children who are on loan from God seem to always end with a bonus hug from Him as well. As I left the room I imagined The Lord Himself sitting patiently by me. I want to remember and believe and practice imagining, when the puzzle life brings me seems way over my head, thousands of pieces and three dimensional and every piece the same color, that He stays with me and encourages me and directs me and applauds every try I make. He is perfectly at peace just sitting with me. He’s got no better place to go, no better thing to do. While I fit the pieces of His will together one piece at a time He gives me His full attention and as many of high fives as it takes.

By Nannette W.
Written Friday, March 3, 2006
Posted Thursday, July 31, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit.
This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: