Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"Just About!" - Step 1

Every kid can relate to the image of his mom or dad standing at the bathroom or bedroom door before school or church or the family reunion, knocking multiple times and saying, “Are you ready yet?” I’ve said it myself time after time, times five kids. My youngest child, Andrew, is a freshman at a local university. He carpools to school every day with his university librarian father. Just the other day the clock was ticking away and I knocked on the bathroom door in hopes of encouraging my son and promoting family punctuality and peace. The answer to my, “How’s it coming? Are you ready yet?” was the standard “Just about!” expressed with an air of “I can’t believe you doubt my ability to be on time!”

As I walked away from the door the image popped into my mind of the Lord knocking on my door and questioning me, “How’s it going Nannette? Are you ready?” What would be my response? It occurred to me that when I answer with a, “Just about!” I might fool my parents or my spouse but when it comes to my spiritual readiness, I can’t fool God. As He stands outside my door, He knows I’m not ready. I can’t possibly be. He knocks on the locked door of pride that separates me from His divine help. I scurry about doing the best I can. He waits. He waits for me to say, “You know Lord, I’m not ready. I will never be able to ready myself. Please help me.”

The Saviors work and glory is to help me get ready for the greatest family reunion of all time and Eternity. I pray for the honesty and humility to allow Him to do His work in me. Who do I think I’m kidding? I’m never just about ready as long as I remain just about willing to invite Him in and receive His help.

By Nannette W.
Written Tuesday, October 3, 2006
Posted Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit.
This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

1 comment:

Jim Stubbs said...

Nan, I absolutely love your new blog. Thanks so much for making your insights available for me to read whenever I need or want to. I know the Lord is "leading you along" in this great work.