Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Carrying the Message Inside and Out - Step 12

A friend of mine had a memorable interchange with her grandson. While I was visiting, she related the incident and we had a great laugh. Before I let you in the dialogue between this Grandma and her Grandson I want to tell you that my friend is sixty something, but you would never guess it. She is lovely, youthful, very put together woman.

She reports that the other day her grandson looked up at her and said, “Grandma, how come you don’t have gray hair like Grandma _____?”

“Well, I like to keep it brown so I look young,” she answered, and then added,” Don’t you think I look young?”

After a pause for some close scrutiny the little guy replied, “Well, the hair looks young, but the face is still old!” Oh the honesty of a child!

Last week I looked in the mirror and saw something that frightened me. It was wiry and gray; the only one of it’s kind, at least on my head. It’s gone now. I plucked it out. Try as I may though, there is no thorough, lasting way to hide the fact that I have had years of earth life experience.

As we apply gospel principle our hearts heal, our health improves, in some ways we become like little children. In so many ways our lives are renewed. Even so, this transformation does not erase the inner wisdom or the outer wrinkles born of life’s experiences. The maturity that comes because we have lived through and overcome hard things can’t be covered up.

God doesn’t care how hard we work at making age sixty the new forty. He allows our experience to show. It’s part of the plan. The Senior Class in earth school has a legacy to share with the freshmen. So, if your grandson ever tells you that your Lady Clairol hair looks young, but your face looks old, don’t take offense. It’s just your God given experience showing, the lessons learned, the trials endured, and the temptations overcome. It’s a sign to the Freshmen Class that you are a part of the more experienced Senior Class and that you have a message to share. We carry the message inside and out!

By Nannette W.
Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All rights reserved. Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: