Wednesday, February 18, 2009

“You’re Excited About My Tonsillectomy?” – All Steps

I called my granddaughter, Eliza, today to see if everything was finalized for her surgery. Apparently all is in order and tomorrow she will have her tonsils and adenoids removed. Her poor little throat is so full of tonsils the size of marbles she can hardly breathe.

“I’m so excited for you Eliza!” I said in reaction to the upcoming event.

“Excited!!! You are??? Why???”

“Well, you are going to feel so much better. You’re going to sleep better and be so much healthier.”

“Oh. OK,” she said with some disbelief and the, “My Grandma is a little crazy!” sound in her voice.

I have conversations like this one with people nearly every day - not concerning tonsillectomies, but in regard to applying the 12 Steps to personal problems that have become debilitating. I am sincerely excited for newcomers, for the prospect for recovery and healing and progress that lies ahead for them. When I share my optimism with those just starting to apply the Steps to their lives their reaction is often just like Eliza’s. “Excited!!! You are??? Why???”

My response is, “I’m excited for you because if you continue on this road, life is going to get better and better. I know it’s hard to imagine.” I have a friend who is a fellow missionary in the Church’s Addiction Recovery Program. I love and resonate with the answer he gives when people ask him what he does as a missionary. “I watch the miracles happen,” is his reply.

Eliza is going to submit to the cure for all the problems cause by over sized, infected tonsils, based on the testimony of the doctor, her parents, and of course her Grandma Nan. To those individuals just beginning their journey through the 12 Steps I invite you to submit to the marvelous healing power of Jesus Christ, accessed by applying these 12 simple principles. You can rest on the experience of countless men and women who have gone before you. Everyday we watch miracles happen, and the next one is going to be you! That’s why I’m excited for you.

By Nannette W.
Posted Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All rights reserved. Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

3 comments:

janhad3 said...

I remember those hopeless, this-won't-work-for-me first meetings I went to. It honestly was nothing short of a miracle that within months, I felt the weight lifted, the hope seep in and recognized real changes happening in my life. A true gift from God.

Jen said...

I loved it, you sure know how to turn a negative situation into a positive one! THANKS!

Kendra said...

wow, that was good!