Thursday, September 11, 2008

Little League Soccer and Early Recovery /Change - Step 1 - Part 1

Sometimes my Coach shows up at my grandkid's soccer games. I’m talking about the Coach that can’t be seen, the one who whispers in my ear or speaks to my heart. This fall I am the visiting grandma at the coed games, age 4/5 and 6/7. This last Saturday I saw that early soccer and early recovery have a lot in common. Here some things I observed.

Hurrah for the coach!
The patience required by the parent/coach is…well, I’m not sure it can easily be described. My son is the coach of the four and five year-olds. He served his mission in Spain where Soccer (Football) is king. He loves sports and is very competitive. As I put out my lawn chair and sat down to watch the game I heard him give the team the last minute instruction. “Come on you guys! Stand up!” That’s where it’s at with the “Golden Eagles.” The first order of the game is pretty basic. “Stand Up!”

James doesn’t coach soccer because he loves soccer, or because it fulfills some passionate need to play ball. He coaches soccer because he loves his little girl and his nephew. Likewise the Lord volunteered to be my Coach because he loves me. He has all the patience necessary. He is willing to invite me to stand up and get in the game as many times as it takes.

I have seen James lift Sammy and Carson right off the ground and literally place them right where they need to be on the field. I’ve seen him walk out onto the field and turn them around when they were headed in the wrong direction. I have seen him pat a bumped head and comfort hurt feelings.

That’s the kind of coach you and I have too. If we’re willing to show up (and that’s important), He encourages us, He places us where he wants us to be, He’ll turn you and I around if we get going in the wrong direction, He comforts, and over time He teaches us how to move more continuously down the field toward The Goal.

By Nannette W.
Posted Thursday, September 11, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: