Saturday, September 13, 2008

Little League Soccer and Early Recovery/Change – Step 1 – Part 3

Early soccer and early recovery/change have a lot in common. This is the third thing I observed at last Saturday’s game.

Which way did she go?

Up and down the mini soccer field they ran. Their little legs, completely covered by what’s supposed to be a shin guard, were just a goin’. During the game there was a tremendous amount of energy expended, but technically no goals for us.

Well…there was a ball kicked into the net by a little girl from our team during the second half of the thirty-minute game. Her parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, and cousins cheered like you can’t believe. You would have thought this was the World Cup and their little girl had just scored the winning point. But soccer in the early years can be confusing. At half time the competing teams switch goals. That kind of throws four and five year olds off. The net she kicked the ball into belonged to the other team.

I’m not sure she was ever even aware of her error in direction. In early soccer no one keeps score. Disqualified point? Maybe, but her family came out of their seats cheering. What was that all about? Her family cheered out of love and because of this child’s great effort, not because the result was technically perfect.

Likewise I believe the Lord does not withhold his thrill over you and me, waiting until we achieve perfection! He cheers for our efforts. He understands that it takes time to straighten out years of confusion. He cheers me on. He will cheer you on. He cheers so we will keep going and never give up. He cheers so we will know He is at the game. He cheers so we will know He cares. Today I want to imagine that the Lord attends all my games and that my effort and even my smallest victories bring the Him right out of His seat!

By Nannette W.
Posted Saturday September 13, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I love that analogy and it is so true! All 5 of my kids played soccer, so I have been to many, many games!