Thursday, September 4, 2008

“That’s All My Plans!” – Keep it Simple

If you know me you know that I’m a planner and a list maker. It’s an attempt, I’m sure, to keep myself in line. There probably isn’t anything inherently wrong with using a plan. A prayerfully made sketch of the day can be a great tool to help me be prepared to do the things that reinforce my life in recovery - like daily scripture study, prayer, meetings, writing, service in the work place, at church, and in the home. But, I have a love/hate relationship with my plan. My struggle begins first, when I think that the power to do, to take action, lies in the plan, and not in the Man Jesus Christ. And second, when I, in perfectionism, add addendum after addendum to the plan until it is no longer a representation of God’s will, is certainly not doable, and takes a great toll on the way I feel about myself and others.

My Granddaughter Sammy obviously watches me. She must know that I keep a daily “to do” list and a log of my activities. The other day I was sitting at the dining room table with papers spread about me. She walked over to the table with her little “Dora the Explorer” notepad and a pencil in hand. She climbed onto a large vacant chair and without addressing me she took her pencil in her little four-year-old hand, scribbled a wavy line across the page once and said, “Go swimming. Check!” She scribbled a second line and said, “Play with my Papa. Check!” She scribbled a third time and said, “After that, go home. Then after that eat. That’s all my plans.”

Sammy didn’t say a word to me, but God did. He said, “Keep it simple Nannette!”

By Nannette W.
Posted Thursday, September 4, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I LOVE it!! Children are perfect, aren't they?