Monday, September 1, 2008

Too Grown Up for a Hand? – Step 2

Madeline is apparently four going on fourteen. Maddie recently and suddenly announced her own coming of age. Just before an ordinary mother/daughter crossing of a busy street, Kendra, completely unaware of Miss Madeline’s growth sprit, reached down to take her hand as she traditionally does. But this time the little paw was claimed back quickly by its owner with this confidant announcement, “I don’t need to hold your hand. I’m almost a teenager.”

I don’t know how old I am on the eternal growth and development chart, but I do know that I’m Heavenly Father’s little girl. It’s difficult to acknowledge that in some respects I probably am just four and it’s a great challenge to resist the mistaken notion that growing up somehow means growing away, growing out of need for my Fathers hand, becoming independent of Him. Truth be told, the greatest sign of growth, of being four going on four-ever, with Him, is the yearning for and taking of God’s hand not only at life's busy, scary crossing but on the little seemingly innocuous park paths as well.

I want to seek out His hand and grip it tight and not draw back and roll my eyes in disgust as a sign of growth and independence, even if I am “almost a teenager.”

By Nannette W.
Posted Monday, September 1, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit.
This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: