Wednesday, November 5, 2008

“All Aboard?” – Step 12

My eldest daughter served a mission when communication from the field was done by post, before the days of e-mail. One morning she described a circumstance I could relate to. In fact, I can still relate. She and her companion were running late for some reason. She was on a bus, traveling to an appointment. While in route she was trying to finish her morning study, make an entry in her journal and write her weekly letter to her family. She expressed extreme frustration because, while she was trying to finish up activities that should have been taken care of in the early morning. She was missing the chance to “open her mouth” and share the Gospel while on the train. Opportunities were passing by while she was playing catch up.

As I read about her self-inflicted dilemma it was very clear to me that this is a predicament I face all too often. Figuratively I board a train everyday. The train pulls out early! It’s loaded with opportunities to “open my mouth,” and to share my witness of the power of Jesus Christ to help each child of God solve very individual problems.

Some days I find myself in the same fix my daughter described. The train is moving down the track, opportunities are all around, and I am trying the finish up some very important things that needed to be attended to before the Conductor hollers, “All Aboard!”

There is a remedy to the frustrating, confusing clash between what might have been done earlier in preparation (prayer, scripture study, exercise, planning etc.) and the wonderful opportunity to bless the live of others. The remedy is found in Doctrine and Covenants 88:124 “…cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated.” And may I add, so that when I get “On Board” I’m “All Aboard!”

By Nannette W.
Posted Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: