Saturday, November 1, 2008

Trick or TREAT - Step 11

Yesterday my husband and I drove for four hours in anticipation of a little surprise we planned at the last minute. Just as it was getting dark we pulled into an unfamiliar church parking lot. I put on my cowboy hat and my husband put on his straw hat. (Our costuming definitely matches our energy level.) We got out a bag of Halloween candy, opened our trunk, and gave candy to little trick or treating strangers as we waited for our own children and grandchildren to happen by our car. I think I had as much or more fun doing the surprising than my family had getting surprised.

This was quite uncharacteristic for me. I have not lived a life of spontaneity and I rarely plan a surprise. The last several months have been different. I can’t believe how many times just little fun ideas have come into my mind, along with the heart, might, mind, and strength to actually put the idea into action. I have read Step 11 many many times. “Seek through prayer and meditation to know the Lord’s will and to have the power to carry it out.” Until recently I thought of this as not only a sober but also somber way of living. Today I finally recognized that these fun, loving, spur of the moment, joyful times I have been experiencing, are part of living in conscious contact with the Lord. I bet life can be full of little moments of anticipation and loving fun. I think I'll find out!

By Nannette W.
Posted Saturday, November 1, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

1 comment:

Grandma Wright said...

First, I am jealous, second - the thought of spontaneity gives me the cold shivers and fills me with terror and the need to hide. I think I need to work on this as well. The thoughts come but I have never been willing to act on them - they don't work out the way I 'plan' them.