Sunday, November 9, 2008

Backseat Driver - Step 6 and Step 11

According to my dad, I was born with a stubborn streak. When I was a little girl all cars had a bench seat in the front and in the back. There were no seat belts, car seats, air bags, or laws for child safety, so children could place themselves absolutely anywhere in the car. My favorite spot, when running errands with my dad, was right next to him, standing in the very middle of the front seat, close to my dad with one arm around his neck. Sounds pretty cozy, pretty friendly, but according to Dad, he couldn’t turn at a corner or a light without an argument, initiated by me, over his choice of direction. Right or left, it didn’t really matter; I wasn’t partial, just contrary.

Just this morning I was struggling in an area of my life where the Lord has already given me clear direction. The picture of my childhood propensity to argue in the car with my dad came to my mind, along with this thought:

“Nannette, you pray, you listen, you write, you study. You come to Me seeking direction, instruction, and advice. You snuggle up real close, your arm around My neck, and then, like that little girl you once were, standing on the bench seat, you argue! You don’t argue out loud. Somewhere between age four and fifty-four your propensity to debate has become so refined you don’t recognize it for the problem it is. After all, no one wants to imagine they are squabbling over “left and right” with God. Today, instead of agreement followed by action, you often resist, procrastinate, become distracted, and experiment with substituting a direction of your own choosing. Then, after becoming discouraged you cozy up and re-ask for My direction.”

Wow!!! Hmm!!! When God paints a picture of truth for me and about me I find myself quite speechless. I find I am finally without excuse. The astonishing thing to me is that I actually feel grateful for the information, for the insight. I know that ultimately His view can make a difference in my behavior. Step 6 is the challenge to “Become entirely ready to have God remove all your character weaknesses.” Having a clear image of my present character is an important part of becoming ready for this kind of change.

God is the master of presenting a vivid picture of the truth, with a message that is penetrating and motivating. This morning I embark on a new day of travel, “in the middle of the front seat,” next to the Lord, where I can receive His direction. What a privileged! Today I take that seat with new information and humble resolve not to behave like a backseat driver!

By Nannette W.
Posted Sunday, November 9, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: