Monday, December 1, 2008

Just Who Is On That “Naughty List?”

Eliza reminds me of myself sometimes. She’s the oldest grandchild on both sides of her family, very serious and quite responsible, as first children tend to be. She’s the “other mother” in her family, because from the view of the oldest child, one mother is never quite enough to keep everything and everyone in line, and who makes a better candidate for the “other mother” position than the oldest sister? I understand perfectly, Eliza!

One evening, just before Christmas one year, Eliza and Ethan were working on a project at my kitchen table. I had Christmas music playing in the background and they were singing along to the songs that were familiar to them.

In the middle of a song they both obviously found quite silly, Ethan laughed and hollered out, “Hey Liza, what if we really saw mommy kissing Santa Clause?”

Eliza’s all knowing response was, “She’d be on the Naughty List!”

So often I think I have things all figured out too, only to find later that I am missing a critical part of the picture. In recovery we often talk about the importance of being “honest, open minded, and willing.” These qualities are the humble path we take that allows the Lord to fill in missing information and replace false perceptions with truth that is critical to our progress. The “ah-ha” moments that come when we are honest before the Lord and open to His mind and His will are priceless.

I imagine I am being observed by the Spiritually more mature in Heaven and on the earth. I’m sure some of my childish perceptions must bring a shake of the head and knowing smile to their lips. Their reaction is probably very similar to my own. As my Grandchildren discussed the placement of their Mother on the “Naughty List” (should she ever fall and give Santa a kiss), I had every hope that in time their perception would change.

Today, even though I am the oldest child on all sides, I’m OK with not knowing everything. In recovery we “come to know” and we “come to believe.” Progress is a process, not an event. I am learning to welcome any change in perception that helps me grow. It makes every new day an adventure!

By Nannette W.
Posted Monday, December 1, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved. Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

1 comment:

Amy White said...

It has been quite a while since I have had time to check out your postings. I love learning from what you have to teach. I love you.