Saturday, December 6, 2008

Sledding with Sammy – Surprise! – Step 3 & 11

Sledding down the hill at the elementary school park with the “Grands” might be the extent of my winter games as a Grandma, but there is something potentially youthful and energizing about being the willing grandma of a three year old. This is for those of you who wish there was Christmas snow on the ground.

Last season Sammy and her mom were about played-out by the time I surrendered to their earlier invitation and put on my boots and coat, and ventured to the park to see if they were still enjoying the newly fallen snow. I found them heading home. They had gone down the hill numerous times and played together on all the playground equipment as though it were a summer day. But upon seeing me, Sammy was willing to give Grandma Nan the thrill of a few tandem runs down the little snow-packed rise her daddy had gone down a hundred times as a little kid. I had forgotten my gloves, and her little mittens were, by now, caked with ice, so we couldn’t stay long. We trudged up together, falling and laughing, and we sat nervously together anticipating the ride, and then we screamed with delight as we slid to the bottom. As I walked into the park I thought that I was doing Sammy a service. I was wrong. I think the few minutes of winter magic were indeed a present to me.

I tend to be more comfortable when life is routine, when there are no surprises. That’s one of the reasons I struggle with the advice to turn my life and will over the care of God. I have an inkling that God is like Sammy, and that He is going to invite me to go sledding, or something equal to or even more unusual and adventurous.

I think children must be God’s initiation bearers, into the world of the divine unknown. They break into our “adultish” routine and invite us to experiment with surprise, with hidden treasure, to brave the discomfort of the cold and the frozen in hopeful anticipation of upcoming delight. I’m grateful He sends children to prepare His way. I pray for the courage it takes to participate with these little adventurers. There is something about being with them that makes me want to be more like them, more willing to trust in Heaven’s care and simply enjoy the thrill not knowing.

By Nannette W.
Posted Saturday, December 6, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved. Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

1 comment:

The Hodges said...

Nan my eyes are filling a little as I read this post. I know how much Samantha loves you and she is always thrilled when you write about her. I know as she grows older she will understand more fully what you have written and treasure it. As always I love your wonderful insights and lessons. I Love you.
Diana