Monday, December 22, 2008

Recovery and The Stable – All Steps – Part Four

This is the forth part of a set of posts dedicated to looking for 12 Step principles taught through the people, events, and symbols of the story of the birth of Jesus Christ. Today we will look at The Shepherds.

The Shepherds – Step 11 Seek through prayer and meditation to know the Lord’s will and to have the power to carry it out.

“And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour which is Christ the Lord…” (Luke 1)

The angelic words to the Christmas Shepherds that stand out to me are, “For unto you is born this day…” It is in the fields with the sheep and their caretakers that we learn that God sends angels to ordinary people like you and me.

When we are new and so imperfect at applying the 12 Steps most of us are filled with amazement, even shocked at feel the presence, love, direction and power of the Lord in our lives. Quoting from one who has struggled much: “Could this feeling I feel possible be the Light of Christ or the Holy Ghost? I haven’t been to Church or prayed or read the scriptures in years. I’ve done so many things I’m ashamed of. I know I must be a complete disappointment to God. But this feeling I have in my heart is so hopeful! What is it?”

Those who have been where we are and have worked hard to “live in recovery” by applying these principles help us begin to understand. They share with us that this feeling we are experiencing is the result of the Lord’s desire to help us and evidence that He is at work in our hearts and in our lives. After we have begun to feel His love and see His hand the great challenge is to continue to believe and receive. I find I have to consciously push away the doubt that threatens my ability to act on my newfound connection with divine help.

The shepherds are the symbol and sweet reminder of God’s very real interest in ordinary people. I’m so grateful they didn’t doubt their own experience. They didn’t stand around after the angels departed saying, “Wait a minute! This kind of thing doesn’t happen to shepherds?” No, they sought out the Christ child. The scriptures say they went with hast. I must seek Him too, and immediately, no matter how ordinary or unfit I think I am, because the Lord reveals himself to shepherd and other ordinary people such as myself. You and I can be like the Shepherds as we Do Not Doubt and Go With Hast!

Wise Men – All Steps

“When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh.” (Matthew 2)

These earthly kings offer their riches to the Christ. That’s what I wish I could take to Jesus too, things that are beautiful, all shined up and smelling lovely. But He asks me to offer my whole soul. Some of that package isn’t very pretty. He asks me to offer Him my sins as well as my talents. Will I offer Him the best I have along with the worst? Will I offer Him all I have, all I am? He says He is like a refiners fire and can turn me into gold. To the Lord, you and I are the most important gold in the universe, gold in the making, gold in process. You and I can be like the Wise Men as we Offer Our Whole Souls As An Offering Unto Him!

Tomorrow the conclusion of this series.

By Nannette W.
Posted Monday, December 22, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved. Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

1 comment:

Cindy Cole Wahlquist said...

The spirit touched my heart as I read this post. Do I run with haste to do His will? Do I rush around so much I can't hear the quiet promptings? Am I growing in the consecration of my life and will? I am inspired by you and your words. Thank you so much Nannette. K