Friday, December 19, 2008

Recovery and The Stable – All Steps – Part Two

It was a great experience to look at the people, events, and symbols of the Christmas Story with the 12 Steps in mind. I share these thoughts with you knowing that this is just a sampling of many possible impressions. These were the things that came to me…

The Angel Gabriel - Step 12 Carrying the Message

The first individual to speak in the Christmas story is the Angel Gabriel. Addressing Mary he said, “…the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women… Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest…” (Luke 1)

The message we are called to carry to those who suffer on this earth is not unlike the Angel Gabriel’s message to Mary. The message is that the Lord loves us. He desires to be with us. We don’t need to be afraid, and we each have a unique work to do on the earth. You and I can be like Gabriel. As we Carry the Message!

Mary – Step 3 Turning my life and will over to the care of God the Eternal Father and His Son Jesus Christ

Mary’s reply to the Angel Gabriel was, “Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word” (Luke 1). Mary is the picture of complete surrender to the will God.

Her submissive reply causes me to inventory my own response when the Lord requires hard things of me? I wish it were always, “be it unto me according to they word,” but it’s not. Today I know I can practice being the handmaid of the Lord one day at a time, one hour at a time. You and I can be like Mary as we grow in the ability to Trust Him Absolutely!

Joseph – Step 11 Seeking through prayer and meditation to know the Lord’s will and to have the power to carry it out

When Joseph takes Mary as his wife he is literally saying, “I care for my Heavenly Father and his plan more that I care for any earthly honor. I will be shamed in a way that will affect the rest of my life, but my life is His and I will do His will.”

Joseph surrenders his reputation and literally becomes the hands of his Heavenly Father in the earthly care of His divine Son. Am I willing to be the hands of God no matter what the cost? You and I can be like Joseph as we become willing to Bear the Shame of the World!

The Inn – Step 6 Change of Heart – Become willing to have God remove all you character weaknesses.

As Joseph searched for shelter these words are recorded. “There was no room for them in the inn.” I always feel so sad at this part of the story. I just know I would have given them my room if I’d had the opportunity.

Although I wasn’t there, the opportunity to provide a dwelling place for the Lord is still very much available. The room He has asked me to give Him is my heart. That’s the place He longs to dwell in today. He can only “move in” with my permission, at my invitation. As the words in “Oh Little Town of Bethlehem” say “Where meek souls will receive Him still, the Dear Christ enters in.” You and I can be willing to Make Room for Him Today!

As you can see this exercises seems to lead to personal inventory. Tomorrow we will look at the stable, the shepherds, the star, and the wise men.

By Nannette W.
Posted Friday, December 19, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved. Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: