Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Recovery and The Stable – All Steps – Part Five

This is the forth and final part of a set of posts dedicated to looking for 12 Step principles taught through the people, events, and symbols of the story of the birth of Jesus Christ. Today we will look at The Journey to the Manger.

The Journey to the Manger – Steps 1, 2 and 3 “I can’t! He can! I think I’ll let Him!

“And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us. And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.” (Luke 1)

There seem to have been only a hand full of ancient people who took the journey to see the newborn King on that first Christmas night. The journey required of the rest of God’s children is not the journey to Bethlehem, but it is a journey to the King. Moroni describes our travel to the Lord as “coming unto Christ and being perfected in Him,” (see Moroni 10:32)

In early application of the 12 Steps the number one question in our minds is “I wonder how long this is going to take?” Many of us are convinced that the distance between Jesus and us is literally insurmountable.

My witness is that the journey to Him is not long. In fact is it’s as short as taking Steps 1, 2, and 3. Step 1 - I can’t. Step 2 - He (Jesus Christ) can! Step 3 - I think I’ll let Him. That’s the journey to Him, Our Heavenly King!

In the book Alcoholics Anonymous on page 58-59 we read, “Remember that we deal with alcohol -- cunning, baffling, powerful! Without help it is too much for us. But there is one who has all power -- that one is God. May you find Him now!” We are invited by the recovering alcoholic to believe in the immediate availability of God.

Although the work of recovery is life long, I find that once I turn to Him, He joins me on the road. It’s really not so very far to “Bethlehem,” to that place where we meet up with Jesus. The imagined mile between the Lord and us shortens every time we admit our need and turn our minds and our hearts to Him for direction and power. Every time we do so we invite Him to be our traveling companion!

“May we find Him now!” That is my Christmas wish for all of us weather we struggle with addiction or with any other hardship mortality has to offer. Every day I have to let go once again of the fear and pride that reduce my speed, delay my progress, and keep Him at arms length, unable to work in my life. Our recovery, our healing, our progress on the road to Bethlehem and thereafter was His sole purpose in coming to earth that Christmas night so long ago. My work is to not stand in His way. You and I can take the trip to Bethlehem as we Admit Our Need and Turn Our Minds and Our Hearts To Him For Direction and Power.

Conclusion

As children acting out the nativity story on Christmas Eve our understanding is very limited, but we know by the way we feel that this story, this little drama we present is different from all others. It is later, when we have experienced much of mortality that we come to know that recovery, healing, and all progress are made possible through the Atoning sacrifice of this little baby in the manger bed. The elements that were closest to Him at His birth: Angel, Mary, Joseph, Stable, Shepherds, star, and Wise Men each teach us something we need to understand in order to fully receive the blessings of the life He gave for us.

The last several posts have been dedicated to likening the story of the birth of Jesus Christ unto ourselves and our application of the 12 Steps. I’m sure the things we might learn from the people, events and symbols of this story are endless. My thoughts on this subject are my Christmas gifts to each of you. I know the Holy Spirit delights to teach us of Him in all things. May our lives be filled with the blessing of personal, divine insight and all the blessings of Christmas!

Merry Merry Christmas to you all!

Nannette

By Nannette W.
Posted Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved. Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: