Saturday, January 24, 2009

How Effective Is Your Self-Talk? – Step 11

In the world of popular psychology there has been much talk about “Self Talk.” It is generally advised that we keep the conversation that goes on in our heads positive. I find single-handedly holding down a “Positive Mental Attitude” to be a big order.

In recovery I am learning to replace “self talk” with a running conversation with the Lord. I figure that if I’m commanded to counsel with the Lord in ALL my doings (Alma 37:37) that doesn’t leave much time for self-talk, positive or negative. It requires a conscious effort to turn the thoughts that play in my head to Him, but it is well worth the effort. I find that if I take my honest thoughts, positive or negative, to Him, He does direct [me] for good (Alma 37:37).

The Lord has ALL wisdom. We have received the invitation to talk everything over with the God of all wisdom! What an opportunity! Sometimes I allow a problem or a decision to ramble around in my head for hours. I think I just assume or take for granted that the Lord knows my thoughts and must be listening in. When I finally get sick of talking to myself and getting nowhere I remember that I actually haven’t addressed the Lord at all. I forget that His respect for my agency requires Him to wait until called. And when I finally do invite Him into the conversation I find what the Lord said to Isaiah to be true:

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts” (Isaiah 55:9).

His thoughts are better than my thoughts. He has invited me to think with Him. He wants to be involved in my thought life. When the Lord and I put our heads together it is far more effective than thinking things through with me, myself and I.

By Nannette W.
Posted Saturday, January 24, 2009

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W.
All rights reserved. Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Very timely thought for me! After passing a night with little sleep - self-talk going at 90 m.p.h. - I think I will try talking to God more!

janhad3 said...

A great message, Nannette. From one who has spent my life talking to myself in very negative ways, I love this (new for me) concept of talking with God all day long instead.

P.S. The spelling and grammar are lookin' good!