Monday, January 19, 2009

The Tools of the Trade

Morning prayer, a little writing in my journal, read and liken a few verses out of the Book of Mormon to myself, a few minutes in some recovery literature along with some writing, plan my food for the day, and a call to my sponsor – that’s how most of my mornings begin. Last week after coming home from the 12:00 pm support meeting I stood at the kitchen sink putting my lunch together and making three outreach calls to other people working to apply the 12 Steps to their individual struggle.

As I hung up the phone and sat down to the lunch I’d committed to my sponsor in the morning I thought about all the tools of recovery I had used before lunch, and a little saying marched through my mind that made me smile: “These are the tools of the trade, Nannette.” The trade? That’s absolutely right! In recovery we trade our relationship with a substance or a behavior for a relationship with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. The tools of recovery or “the dailies” as they are affectionately call are a wonderful gift. They are the tools of the best trade I’ve ever made!

By Nannette W.
Posted Monday, January 19, 2009

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W.
All rights reserved. Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

1 comment:

janhad3 said...

Thanks for writing. I miss it when you don't. You are part of MY dailies.