Wednesday, January 28, 2009

“That’s Not On My Schedule!” – Step 3 and Step 11

This week my daughter shared the following conversation that took place between her and her 5-year-old, Maddie:

"Maddie, it’s time to go outside and play"

"That's not in my SCHEDULE Mom"

"What schedule?"

"Well you said the other day that it was good to have a schedule of what you do each day, so now I keep mine in my brain, and going outside is not in my schedule"

"Well going outside IS in my schedule so come outside with us...OK"

NO mom!!!! (and on and on)

This was Madeline's new thing this week. Although it’s cute it’s driving her mother crazy. Apparently Maddie’s mom was planning her own day and told Maddie that she schedules her days so she can be prepared for what’s coming up. Maddie’s daddy also makes a record of his appointments and plans for the week. My Granddaughter is learning by example.

Maddie’s mom reports that she has come up with a solution for these scheduling conflicts. “I am going to encourage Madeline to tell me her schedule in the morning, the one that’s ‘in her brain’ so that I know what she’s thinking, and then I will tell her what she needs to add or take away to have a good day! I am hoping this will work, but we'll see.”

The other morning apparently Maddie’s plan called for her to wake up at 3:30am and play with her doll in the front room with the hall and living room lights ablaze. Her exhausted mother wandered in and explained that it was time to be in bed and that everyone in the state was asleep. Maddie said, "No they aren't I just heard a car drive by.” He mother’s reply to her precocious little lady was, "Except for him!” (Thanks buddy, for driving by at just the wrong moment!) Maddie finally fell asleep. It was just part of her new little schedule!

This little interchange made me laugh. I could see myself in Maddie. I have a schedule in my brain too. Sometimes it doesn’t exactly coordinate with the Lord’s plan for my day. What works best for God and me is the very same thing that my daughter is trying with her five-year-old budding organizational genius. These are my instructions from the Lord, “Nannette, tell Me the schedule that is ‘in your brain’ in the morning, and then I will tell you what you need to add or take away to have a good day!”

By Nannette W.
Posted Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W.
All rights reserved. Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.