Wednesday, January 21, 2009

“Mommy, I Just Wanted To Get A Violin, Ya Know, Just Have One!”

Helping children with music lessons is definitely upper division training for parents. I can’t even imagine how many hours I’ve spent tutoring at the piano, encouraging from the kitchen sink, and sitting through lessons. My biggest adventure into the unknown came when my youngest daughter asked if she could please play the violin. Having no idea what that involved but being open to her young desire to go where no musician in our family had ever dared go, I went to the local music store and brought home a very tiny violin, rent to own. I hired a teacher and for over a year my little girl and I worked together Suzuki style.

I will spare you all the details, mostly because I don’t remember them. What I do remember is that much of the time it was not a very happy experience. Let’s just say that there was great resistance at the requirement to practice. During one such trying crying session my five-year-old little musician and I had the following conversation.

“Am I finished Mom?”
“Just one more thing to practice honey.”
“But I don’t want to practice. I just wanted to get a violin mommy, ya know, just have one!”

I recorded her words in my journal in 1987 because they made me laugh, but also because I can relate, though not in regard to the violin. There was a moment in my past when my Father promised me the opportunity to learn to work with an instrument of His creation and I “shouted for joy” at the prospect. Even so, there are days when I could have the following conversation with Him:

“Am I finished Heavenly Father? Have I learned enough today?”
“Just one more lesson honey.”
“But I don’t want to practice. I just wanted to get a body Heavenly Father, ya know, just have one!”

Our daily rehearsal is carried out between body and spirit. Our spirit is the living player and our otherwise lifeless body the magnificent instrument. The body, although excellent and intricate, having been wonderfully made by The Master Craftsman, is as lifeless as a fine violin sitting in its case. But when brought together with the living spirit, as violin to violinist, there is tremendous promise. Together our body and spirit have magnificent potential.

May we continue our daily practice! May we never give up! May we internalize the truth that at one time we literally stood in the presence of God and cheered at the prospect, not only of having a body, but working with it, practicing, training, taking lesson after lesson, rehearsing with this Godly gift until we reach our full potential, until we become like Him!

By Nannette W.
Posted Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W.
All rights reserved. Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Love it - what a great comparison. By the way, I failed the "upper division parenting"! My kids got the best of me on that one!

janhad3 said...

I really relate to and appreciate the comparison. I haven't really stopped to think of my body as "lifeless", an instrument just lying there until I pick it up and produce something beautiful (or not) with it. I'm the musician in charge of my instrument - how I play it, how I take care of it, whether I bless others lives with it or use it selfishly. Hmmm......

Kendra said...

Love it mom, I am such a cute kid!