Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Let’s Buckle Up and Enjoy the Ride! – Step 3

Here’s a paradox. We often become involved in destructive behavior in the name of personal freedom. Then to our dismay, this sign of our independence actually leads to bondage.

It is also a paradox that the only way to become truly free is to become truly submissive. Those who have practiced this manner of living have discovered the following reality – “The more we become willing to depend upon a Higher Power, the more independent we actually are. Therefore dependence [as we practice it in applying the 12 Steps to our lives] is really a means of gaining true independence of the spirit” (Alcoholics Anonymous Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 36).

I was thinking about these curious truths the other day when a picture came to my mind. It was the picture of my children strapping all their children into car seats every Sunday night after our big family dinner. Most of the time the kids are very cooperative but every once in awhile one of them goes through a phase that is very frustrating. I’ve seen the babies arch their backs, kick and scream, and resist being secured in the car seat with all the strength they can muster. I watch as the parents patiently work with their out-of- control little one, finally getting them strapped into the seat and the seat strapped into the car. It’s exhausting!

Sometimes I’m like a fit throwing, car seat resistant child in relation to God. The Lord promises me that if I will submit to Him I will be free from every type of bondage. Then He will be free to take me and transport me back to the arms of my Heavenly Father. I want so badly for the Lord to orchestrate my life for good. I want Him to help me go and do all that He would have me do. I sing “I’ll Go Where You Want Me To Go Dear Lord” with gusto. But sometimes I refuse to get in the car seat. I’m finding that if I’m not buckled up we’re not going anywhere.

For me the car seat represents yielding to the loving parameters the Lord sets for me. I do this by submitting to those things that secure my safety - like daily prayer and scripture, abstaining from compulsive addictive behavior, attending my meetings, attending the temple, working through the 12 Steps and supporting others in the process etc. Today I feel like I am strapped in pretty tight and I testify that I have never felt more free! When I start to resist I say to myself, “Nannette, relax and allow Him to make you secure. Allow Jesus Christ to be the driver, the director. Allow Him to be the vehicle and proceed by His power. That’s real freedom!”

Divine Security, Direction and Power! It’s this combination that allows the Lord the take us any place we need to go. So Let’s Buckle Up and Enjoy the Ride!

By Nannette W.
Posted Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W.
All rights reserved. Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Love it!

Jen said...

Such a deep thought, but oh so true! Thanks!