Friday, August 29, 2008

Coming Down The Mountain - Part 4

Despite the added strain of walking on slippery packed snow, we kept going. We kept hoping the sun would grow warm enough to melt the snow. We kept hoping that each one of numberless bends in the trail would be the last before the lake. Hours passed. My legs were so shaky, by this time, I could hardly put one foot in front of another. With a bit of sarcasm in my voice, I suggested that Mel run up the next hill and see if the lake was just around the next bend. She did. She ran up the trail and turned to wave back. The lake was finally just ahead. Slowly, I hobbled up. It was 1:00 p.m.

We sat down and evaluated our situation. It was still quite cold. There was no hope of the snow melting. My exhaustion and the reality that we could never reach the top and come back in daylight finally pushed us to a decision. We would not go on to the top. Right here, only half way. This was “the top” for me! Again, another humbling thought came into my mind: Nannette, your “top” will always just be somewhere higher than you have ever been before, not as high as anyone has ever gone. Be grateful every time you out-do your old self! That’s the only standard you need to achieve to feel like it was all worthwhile."

To Be Continued.

By Nannette W.
Posted Tuesday, August 29, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: