Saturday, August 16, 2008

“Not Knowing Beforehand” An Adventure in Letting Go – Step 3

As Nephi sets out on a very difficult assignment from the Lord he says, “And I was led by the Spirit, not know beforehand the things which I should do.” When I study the scriptures I find it very instructive to use a dictionary and look up key words. “Beforehand” means: in advance, ahead, before.

One of the most important things I want to learn to submit to the Lord has to do with this business of “not knowing beforehand.” Clinging to the notion that I somehow have a right to “know” creates a great deal of anxiety. Letting go of the need for a bold vision of where I am headed, in full color, with intricate detail, is a move in the direction of peace and serenity. It also creates an environment within me conducive to immediate action. Turning all results or conclusions of my efforts over to the Lord opens the door and allows the Lord to fill me with instruction and power for the present moment. When I am willing to move forward “not knowing beforehand” my life ceases to be an anxious walk in the dark and becomes an adventurous journey with the Savior as my guide.

By Nannette W.
Written January 12, 2005
Posted Saturday, August 16, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit.
This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: