Wednesday, August 20, 2008

“Honesty is the Best Policy” What an Understatement! – Step 1

Honesty Because It’s No Secret, Not Really

Our Bishop is a law enforcement officer, a sheriff. On Sunday he talked to the youth about the preliminary testing he does to see if someone is under the influence of a drug. Sometimes people lie about their sobriety, but he can tell if someone is sober and being truthful by some pretty simple observations. He says he can’t always tell exactly what they are taking but he can always tell the category of the drug. Sometimes I think that I can fool the world, but I’m sure the signs are readily observable to the trained eye. I need to remember that if sobriety or lack of it in others is no secret then mine surely isn’t either.

Absolute Honesty About the Sacrifice the Lord Asks of Me

There is a story in the New Testament of a man and women who sold some land and then brought the supposed tithing on their increase to the Prophet of the church, who at that time was Peter. When asked if they were paying a full tithe they both lied and then they both keeled over dead. Rather severe, don’t you think. I wonder if these two souls lost their physical lives to teach me this spiritual lesson. When my sacrifice (my abstinence) is less than what is being asked of me by the Lord, it is deadly (spiritually, physically, emotionally) for me to pretend. Though my desire is to live according to His will, when I fall short I need to be honest with myself, honest with another human being, and honest with Him.

By Nannette W.
Written 11-18-01
Posted Tuesday, August 20, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit.
This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: