Saturday, October 4, 2008

Got the General Conference Is Over Blues? Cheer Up! The Feast Is Going to Continue – Step 11

In the Spirit of our belief in continuing revelation, our family has always listened to conference with one ear cocked for something new. My kids use to ask, “Mom, do you think the Prophet is going to announce something exciting? If he does won’t it be in the Sunday afternoon session of conference?” We’d glue ourselves to the TV, listening to his final remarks, hoping for NEW direction, NEW motivation, and NEW instructions from the Lord, through the Prophet, to us.

When I was young, my concept of the blessing of continuing revelation rested firmly on and was mostly limited to what we were blessed with, as a people, every six months through a living Prophet. I have come to know that this view of God’s desire and ability to communicate with me was only half the picture, and it actually diminished the power the Conference messages might have in my own Post-Conference progression.

Step 11 challenges me to daily, “Seek through prayer and meditation to know the Lord’s will and to have the power to carry it out.” I don’t want to put God in a Conference sized box. I want Him to be alive and instructive and powerful everyday and in the way He sees best for me as an individual child. The testimony of continual revelation need not lay dormant, waiting for General Conference to role around again in six months. It can be strengthened every time I study the words delivered in Conference by Latter-day Prophets, and then take President Benson’s challenge to continually ask, “Lord, what would Thou have me to do?” What would Thou have me do about Thy message through Elder Bednar, Elder Packer, and President Monson etc?

In order for General Conference to become specific to me, the revelation can’t end with “God Be With You Til’ We Meet Again” and the final “Amen.” The messages delivered at Conference are meant to be the beginning. They are the Lord’s topic sentences, meant to initiate six months of Spirit facilitated personal direction, instruction, motivation, and change. For revelation to be truly continuous the teachings of the Prophets must enter my heart, and then I must seek further revelation, further personal understanding, and greater detail pertaining to me and my individual situation.

I grew up in California with a Utah born and raised mother. Twice a year as General Conference ended she would cry. Oh how did she hate the feast to end! But when the last “Amen” is said, I say, “Let’s all rejoice!” The same Spirit who brings to us the words of Christ during General Conference is alive and well and will continue to guide and instruct and change us. Even after we push the power button on the remote and the TV turns off we can allow the Revelator to continue in us.

By Nannette W.
Posted Saturday, October 3, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: