Thursday, October 23, 2008

Who’s Teaching Who? - You Don't Have to be Tall to Carry the Message

In resent years the Prophet has encouraged parents to teach their children about testimonies and then give them experience sharing their budding witness at home with their family. The hope is that ultimately children will be better prepared to stand in church and testify without the aid of parents or an older sibling.

Standing as a witness of God comes very naturally to Madeline. Now age five, she has taken the solo trip down the isle, to the pulpit many times. She was only three years old the first time she made it clear to her parents that she had some thoughts she wanted to share with the congregation. There was no need for her daddy to accompany her, push the blond curls away from her little ear and whisper ideas to prompt her sharing. She stood alone (did I mention she was three): “I’d like to bear my testimony. I love my Jesus. I love my mom and dad. Jesus loves me. The Holy Spirit loves me and I love Him.” And finally, prompted by a resent family lesson, “It’s important for us to know about our bodies and take care of them.” The only coxing from dad was “Maddie, it’s time to say Amen.”

Afterwards, there were comments from ward members about her age and her sincerity. There were lots of questions about what Kendra and Nate had done at home to somehow prepare this child, and requests to send kids over for a few lessons in testimony bearing. The greatest wonder of the event was that Maddie’s parents had not really gone to great lengths. They were almost as surprised as the rest of the audience.

Madeline is not the only child exhibiting an unusual ability and willingness to stand and express her spiritual heart. I am amazed almost every month by the testimony of children. I wonder if these little “generals,” who have come straight from Heavenly ranks, were listening the day the memo was read challenging parents to raise the bar on tutoring their children to the point of independence. It’s almost like these little “last days” children understood the Lord’s intent and raised the bar on themselves.

Step 12 reads, “Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, share this message with others…” Sharing what the Lord has done for me is a very important part of maintaining what I have obtained. The willingness to share the miracle the Lord has performed in my own life is, in part, the natural result of applying Steps 1-11 and recognizing the hand of the Lord in my own progress. But Step 12 is not easy for me. It’s work. I have had to acknowledge that the desire, direction and courage to “carry the message” is a gift I have to seek. Step 12 is a step that must be taken. Just as I had to receive the Lord’s help in taking the previous 11 steps, I cannot take this step alone.

"I get the message Madeline! Next time I’m in a situation where there’s an opportunity to share my witness and my heart is pounding and I know there’s something I need to say I pray I can be like you; not concerned at all that you might be too short, too young, too inexperienced, or not grown up or eloquent enough."

It doesn’t matter if you are Madeline or Nephi or Nannette, the most important thing to share is what Maddie was willing and able to share at age three, “I love my Jesus!” The great paradox is that I don’t need to be afraid, because Jesus will even help me say it!

By Nannette W.
Posted Thursday, October 23, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

I loved that. What a great way. Thank you for such a sweet writing. It makes me cry.