Wednesday, October 29, 2008

“Ya Mean I Can Ask?!?!?!” – Step 7

Late one Sunday afternoon, in the middle of the family dinner, my daughter, who is only generally familiar with the principles of recovery, sat in my office feeding her new baby. She was tired. It had been a challenging day. Her mind was racing with thoughts of the frustrating Sunday morning she’d had with her four-year-old. With the need for greater patience weighing on her mind, she looked up at the 12 steps I have posted on my office. Her eyes rested on Step 7 and she read, “Humbly ask Heavenly Father to remove your shortcomings.”

“Ya mean I can ask?” she said out loud.

She came out of the room and related her experience to me. We talked about what good news it is to know that there is no struggle in our lives that doesn’t merit the Lord’s attention and power. We can ask for help with our shortcomings. If we are willing, in time, our transformation will be made possible through our Savior. What a blessed thing to come to know!

I often remember this little incident when I’m off track, trying hard on my own.

“Ya mean I can ask?” “So what am I waiting for?”

By Nannette W.
Posted Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: