Thursday, October 2, 2008

“If They Can Do It, So Can I!” – The Only Requirement

I’m so sorry to take you back to Disneyland this morning but I woke up with a 12 Step Reflection in my head and when that happens I try to pay attention. I was dreaming that I was being encouraged by my kids and grand kids to get onto a reportedly scary ride in the park. I must admit that “California Screaming,” to this date, is a bit of undone business for me. Anyway, I don’t know exactly what ride it was, but they tried to persuade me by telling me two things.

First, they brought up the fact that I definitely met the height requirement. If it’s been a long time since you visited a theme park I remind you of the stationary ruler at the entrance of all potentially terrifying rides. You can wait in line all you want, but when riders of questionable size make their way up to the front of the line, to the smiling, “Have a fun ride!” park employee, under the ruler they go to see if they meet the four foot prerequisite. If they do there is always a moment of glee. If they don’t, sometimes there are tears and the whole family has to reorganize so the “still too short” youngling can be properly cared for on the ground while the rest of the family goes flying.

Second, they tried to persuade me by bringing up the fact that Carson and Sammy and Ethan, the “little kids,” had already been brave enough to go on this particular ride and had in fact survived.

When it comes to embarking on the ride that leads to recovery and healing from addiction or from any of life’s struggles, there is also a ruler at the onset of the adventure. It does not measure our height or our age. We, in fact are never too young and never too old to apply the 12 Steps to our lives. It does not measure the supposed “seriousness” of our need. There is, in fact nothing too little and nothing too big to be taken through this Gospel, Christ centered process. So if age and stage aren’t on the measuring sticks, what are the criteria for getting on board?

There are three necessary elements. The first is the desire to change. “If your desire is small and inconsistent today, don’t worry. It will grow” (Guide to Addiction Recovery and Healing, 1, see side bar).

The second necessity is the ability to be honest. Living in recovery requires absolute honesty. Though this is a critical matter, as our desire grows and we give ourselves to study and participation with others who are applying these principles to their lives our capacity to be honest also grows.

Finally, living in recovery requires courage, the courage to do hard things, and sometimes the courage to stand-alone. As I participate with men and women from all walks of life struggling with every possible verity of need to be healed through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, my courage to not only get on board but stay on board increases daily. It’s not any more complicated than the courage required when my Disneyland ride buddies encourage me by saying, “Mom” or “Grandma, if I did it so can you!”

If I make my way to the front of the “Space Mountain” ride line and find myself coming up short, I have no alternative but to come back in a year and try again. The miracle of a height increase over a three-day stay is improbable. The matter will have to be left to nature. The sad thing is that this is exactly how many of us have handled things when we’ve come up lacking the desire, honesty, and courage necessary for recovery and healing.

Now when it comes to missing the mark for “California Screaming” (due to lack of desire and courage) for yet another year, I can live with that. But I do not have to leave to nature my ability to meet the Lord’s requirements for recovery and healing. I have to continually remind myself that the good news about the Lords conditions, His yardstick, is that He has the power to actually grow my desire, honesty and courage. Through Him I can rise to the mark in miracle time.

So back to my dream and the encouragement of my family to do something I think will be frightening at the least and very possibly give me a heart attack at the worst, I encourage all to ask the Lord for what is necessary, to walk through the gate of recovery, sit down, buckle up, look at the variety of folks participating right along with you and enjoy the ride!

By Nannette W.
Posted Thursday, October 2, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: