Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"Mom, This is What I Need For Christmas…" "Lord, This is What I Need Because of Christmas…" - All Steps

As soon as the weather begins to change we start to think about the holiday season. I imagine that all the folks who plan to be ready for Christmas by Thanksgiving Day are already moving on their shopping list. That’s never been my style. I tell people that I am firmly committed to NOT starting my Christmas shopping until after Thanksgiving. I usually spend October and November dreading the shopping that lurks in the future. Instead of getting on to it I wait until the last minute wondering what on earth I’m going to buy for the people on my list. By December 1st the pressure starts to get intense. Neighborhood lights are up, trees are lit and shopping malls are full! So out into the snow I go, purchasing to the best of my ability, and fretting the whole time over whether I’m doing a good job or not. This pattern does not necessarily make for a jolly holiday season, but until the last few years I have never been able to extricate myself from this dread and fear based gift-giving scenario.

A new pattern seems to be developing though. At first I wasn’t sure how I felt about it. I have decided to see this new pattern as a gift from my family and a message from God. Today I received a phone call from one of my children.

“Mom, Would it be OK if I tell you what I want for Christmas?”

The thought that it is only October 7th, well before the post Thanksgiving crunch time and I have no idea what she might want or need makes this very appealing. “I think it would be great!” I respond. A week ago I had the same experience with another daughter who then gave me helpful suggestions for her younger sister and her two-year-old daughter.

I was thinking about this new system one day, wondering if it was OK. What about the missing element of creativity and surprise? The came to me “this is how divine gift giving works. I go to the Lord and share my needs. Most often my needs have to do with living the 12 Steps, the principles that bring recovery and healing and progress. I share with Him that I need:
1. The ability to be more honest about my weaknesses
2. Greater hope in His power to help me
3. Greater trust in Him
4. Understanding of the truth about my actions
5. Courage to confess my wrongs
6. Desire to let go on character weakness that are holding me back
7. Willingness to ask for divine help to change
8. The capacity to forgive
9. Courage to seek forgiveness and the knowledge of how to make restitution for past hurts
10. Integrity to live these principles every day all day
11. Greater understanding of His will for me and the power to do it
12. Opportunities to help other by introducing them to these principles and sharing how they have blessed my life, and the willingness to apply these principles to ever aspect of my life.

The Lord and I both have a gift-giving dilemma. Mine is that I don’t know what people need. His is different. He knows exactly what we need, but so often He can’t give it to us without our permission, without our asking, without our willingness to receive His gift. Just like my own children are helping to solve my gift giving problem I am learning to help the Lord with His by being more and more honest with Him about my needs.

I don’t have to wait for Christmas either. A very common Christmas card reads “Christ is the reason for the season.” I am coming to know that Christ is the reason for every season in my life. I don’t share what I need for Christmas. I share what I need for October 8th and 9th, and 10th. I share what I know He can bless me with all year long because of Christmas.

By Nannette W.
Posted Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

I'm back an love to read these. Thank you mom

The Hodges said...

It is so amazing how you see the spiritual side of everything. I really admire that. Love you!