Friday, October 10, 2008

Overcharged? Time to Take Step 3

Luke 21:34 “And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with…cares of this life…” I use to have this verse on my refrigerator. I think it was a handout from a Relief Society lesson. I stuck it on my fridge because when I get overcharged (overloaded) with the cares of this life my fridge is where I am tempted to look for comfort.

Maybe other ladies in the ward took it home and stuck it to their credit card or on their medicine cabinet door, or their TV or their computer. There’s hardly an end to the list of places to run when we’re overcharged with care and most of the substances and behaviors we turn to are physically and spiritually destructive. When I feel tempted to take destructive measures it’s always a sign that I am overcharged with care.

“Care” has many faces. There’s Sorrow, Heartache, Anguish, Grief, Concern, Anxiety, Worry, Trial, Trouble, Duty, Responsibility. Life is full of opportunities to be overcharged with care. So what should we do when we recognize the signs of being overcharged with the cares of this life?

The Prophet Peter’s recommendation is that we “[cast] all [our] care upon him [Jesus Christ]…” (1 Peter 5:7). The word cast it a verb, an action word. According to Webster’s Dictionary, “to cast” is to throw, to sling, to shed. The Lord does not want me to keep to myself any of life’s cares. I am commanded to throw them, to sling them, and to shed myself of them. These words do not describe a timid, back peddling response. “Do you really want to take this care from me Lord?” They do not describe a self-righteous response. “Maybe if I hang on to this care of mine I can fix it without bothering the Lord with my little trouble.” They do not describe a proud, or self-pitying response. “I can’t give this care to the Lord. It’s of my own making. I need to live with this struggle and deal with it by myself.” When Peter says, “Casting all your care upon him…” I think he really means ALL!

I am commanded to throw my cares, to sling them, to shed them with abandon, and with power, in the direction of Jesus Christ. If I am willing to cast my all my cares upon the Lord this is promised result. “He careth for you.” (1 Peter 5:7) This promise takes on a different meaning with each reading as I emphasize a different word in the phrase. Jesus cares for me. Jesus cares for me. Jesus cares for me. Jesus cares for me.

Next time I feel overcharged (and I’m sure I won’t have to wait long) I want to take my care to the only One who really understands and who has the power to help me. Such a simple but stunning alternative to blowing a personal fuse!

By Nannette W.
Posted Friday, October 10, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: