Friday, October 17, 2008

Our Kids are Paying Attention To Where We Place Our Attention – Carrying the Message to Our Children

In the early years I held back from openly announcing to the world or my family that I was involved in a recovery program and that I was applying the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous to my lifetime struggle with food. My children knew I had started attending a Sunday night meeting, but Latter-day Saint moms go to lots of meetings. I decided not to put the “AA Big Book” on the back of the toilet. Someone might get the wrong idea. I read and studied. I wrote. I attended meetings. I phoned supportive friends. But I didn’t campaign.

One evening I waited up for my teenage daughter Jen. She was usually late. Just about the time my concern was about to turn to worry she came into the house and into my room. “Mom, I’m so sorry I’m so late but I have a friend who is having an awful time, I stayed after rehearsal and talked to her in the parking lot. Her parents are getting divorced. She’s having a terrible time. She’s so confused. I didn’t know what to say to her so I thought, ‘what would my mom say to her?’ and it came to me to tell her that she is not to blame and that she can turn her fears and worries and her parents over to the care of the Lord and that He will bless her to get through this.” Did my daughter just say she advised a friend do turn her fears and worries over to the Lord? I had no idea she had been paying attention.

Our children are very observant. They watch our behavior when trials come. They listen to the advice we give to others while we’re standing at the kitchen sink talking on the phone. They see where we run for comfort. When we live these 12 Christ Centered Steps in front of our children we are giving them a great gift, the example of a way of life, a way of coping with all of life. The things they observe in us can serve them and bless the ones they serve. They may be quick or slow to apply these principles to their own lives, but they are paying attention to where we place out attention.

By Nannette W.
Posted Friday, October 17, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

No comments: