Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Whole Earth and I Have Something in Common - God’s Mindfulness – Step 2

I became friends with a sister in my ward from Mexico. She was struggling with her marriage and seeking to know the Lord’s will. One day she asked if I would go the temple with her. The temple was extremely busy. We waited an exceptionally long time in the waiting room. For several weeks I had been helping her improve her English. I knew her ability to understand was quite limited, so I asked if she wanted to hear the session in Spanish. She said no, that she would try it in English. About two minutes into the temple session they stopped the film and asked if “anyone else wanted to listen in Spanish.” I couldn’t believe my ears! I had never had this experience before. I asked her again if she would like to listen in Spanish and with great relief she said yes! I think the Lord was very aware of my friend and wanted her to have a meaningful experience in the temple that day.

We are often reminded by the prophets that the Lord is mindful of us. We read in the Book of Mormon, “Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth.” Alma 26:37

I don’t know how it’s possible, and it makes no sense, but for some reason I can believe in a kind of global God who is “mindful of every people” and still not be sure He is mindful of me. Perhaps one of the most beautiful results of applying the12 Steps to my life is finally receiving the absolute witness that God is not only mindful of all of creation, He is mindful of me!

By Nannette W.
Posted Saturday, October 11, 2008

Copyright 2008 by Nannette W. All right reserved.
Making or sending copies is permitted if the page is not changed in any way and the material is not used for profit. This notice must be included on each copy made or sent.

1 comment:

Grandma Wright said...

exactly! And then to even take it further, for me, I have a hard time accepting or believing he would want to know me. Of course that isn't all the time but more often than it should be. Thank you Nan, you are helping more than you know. Funny how alike we think, I just have never taken time to think it through or voice it.